Most people see marriage as something desirable. After all, who wouldn’t want to have a best friend, lover, and someone to share expenses with all rolled into the same person? And you get this wonderful package for the rest of your life! But as anyone who is married knows, it’s not quite that easy. In fact, marriage can be downright challenging a lot of the time. So why exactly is being married so difficult? Here are 6 reasons:
1. Most people have struggled with roommates at one time or another. Marriage would be so much easier if you only had to worry about being roommates and keeping the house clean.
2. Raising children is one of the toughest things anyone could do. Staying up all night with a crying baby, toddler-hood, bedtimes, eating, the teenage years – it’s just hard. But marriage would be so much easier if the only thing you had to do was raise children together.
3. Managing money well is challenging. Two people agreeing on financial decisions is harder. Doing it in the context of a marriage is even more difficult.
4. Most of us have a best friend that we feel a strong connection with. However, most of us don’t see our best friend very often. Being married to your BFF and seeing them every day might put a strain on the relationship.
5. Finding someone that really turns you on that you can have hot sex with is never easy. But having hot sex for the rest of your life with the same person is really, really difficult.
6. Managing all this plus extended family, work, hobbies, and whatever expectations you and your spouse have for each other makes it almost impossible to sustain a great marriage over the years.
All marriages go through ups and downs. The downs can be pretty rough, especially when there is significant conflict or adversity. I can help you get through the tough times and help make your marriage stronger than ever. Call today with any questions or to schedule an initial consultation.